You need functioning plumbing appliances and fixtures in your kitchen to complete your daily activities like washing dishes, cooking, and more. When your garbage disposal stops functioning, or your sink starts leaking, schedule professional repairs to avoid any inconveniences. Call Capital Plumbing Contractors for services in Tallahassee, FL. We provide upfront pricing before we make any garbage disposal repairs or install a new sink or faucet.
Is there an odor coming from your kitchen sink? It could be clogged. Call us for professional drain cleaning services in Tallahassee.
Common Garbage Disposal Problems
When you turn on the faucet to wash dishes and start to scrape food off of dirty plates, you rely on your garbage disposal to work correctly. When it doesn’t, it can cause inconveniences and needs to be repaired quickly. Some common problems you might encounter with your system include:
- Jams: This can occur when inappropriate items -- like high-fiber vegetables such as corn husks and carrots -- are placed in the disposal.
- Clogs: When clogs occur, professionals may need to take apart the disposal to remove the blockage.
- Loss of power: If you flip the switch and your unit doesn’t start, it can be due to a disrupted or faulty connection. A professional can inspect the unit and make any necessary repairs.
- Noise: Loud or unusual noises can indicate there are metal or hard plastic objects in the appliance.
- Leaking disposal: Leaks can be repaired by a plumber to get the unit back to working correctly.
When To Replace Your Faucet
Unless you are remodeling your kitchen and determine you want a different looking faucet, you might not think about replacing it. However, there are some signs you should watch for that can indicate you need to install a new faucet:
- Leaks: If your faucet is leaking, have a plumber inspect it to determine if it can be repaired or if the unit needs to be replaced.
- Severe limescale buildup: If you have buildup on your unit it can decrease your water pressure and cause other parts of your system to rust.
- Expensive parts: If you need to replace various parts on your unit, it can be more cost-effective to install a new faucet rather than make the repairs.
How clean is the water coming out of your faucet? Learn about our water filtration systems.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips
To keep your garbage disposal working properly, it’s important to perform regular maintenance tasks on it. Some tips you should follow include:
- Avoid putting hard food items like corn husks and chicken bones down the disposal.
- Don’t put starchy foods, like potatoes, in the disposal.
- When using the system, run water into the disposal and keep it running for a few seconds after the disposal has been turned off.
- To keep the blades sharp, grind ice in the disposal once a week.
- Clean your disposal with baking soda, vinegar, and water.
- Freshen your disposal with lemons.